Subject: Re: auvia sound
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/21/2003 23:56:03
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:24:45PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:42:50PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> > Not very bizarre to me... I have a PCI slot in this machine that likes to
> > share with the onboard ATA66 chip, so when I was using that chip, the NIC in
> > that slot would get VERY hot... but in other slots, it wouldn't try to share
> > irqs with that (instead it'd do it with a different device)... I really wish
> > I understood the need for IRQ sharing, but I guess Intel does and I do not
> > ;)
>
> Wow. That's a very interesting side-effect of sharing a high interrupt
> load device with a low-load one.

Agreed.

> That your IDE throughput will suffer is obvious, but overheating the
> ethernet card is entertaining. (in a "glad it's not my card" kind of way
> ;-)

*nod* I'm glad I disabled the onboard ATA66 (HPT366 is a buggy POS anyway on
this motherboard - locks up hard if i use both channels at once) and got a
PCI ATA100 adapter. since then, the ethernet card runs a lot cooler, but its
still sharing an interrupt with the usb controller. go figure. but, i guess
there is a lot less going on on the usb controller than the ata100, since
all i have on it is my mouse.

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!