Subject: Re: NetBSD
To: None <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net, mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA,>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/21/2003 23:59:18
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 08:09:00PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> typing
> rm -rf /*
>
> instead of
> rm -rf .*
>
> in one subdirectory because of typo successfully teached me not do general
> work as root :)

Indeed. One of my friends once told me he wanted to remove a few
jpeg pictures and other files while being root. After typing the
command the shell spurted out :

jpeg : command not found

And he realized what had happened, though it is very funny when
he tells this story.

This happened to me once. I had a Sparc station 5 machine
running OpenBSD 3.0 and I wanted to upgrade it. So I wanted
to rm -rf /usr/src and I did in fact rm -rf /usr (using sudo)
and it's strange that it's _always_ when you hit the ENTER key
that you realize what you just did...

Now I use ls ... before using any rm as root so I can really
check what's gonna happen :p

--
Gilbert Fernandes