Subject: Re: Booting problem
To: Yasir Malik <ymalik@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/2003 10:35:45
In message <Pine.SGI.4.51.0304200942070.862333@guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu>, Y
asir Malik writes:
>I got it to install perfectly!  However there's a couple of problems:
>1. I don't want the # prompt.  How do I get the windows?  I like GUIs.

First, you shouldn't be logging in as root.  If you're at that prompt
without logging in, you're in single user mode, probably because you
haven't edited /etc/rc.conf yet.

>2. Whenever I go past a screen, a sharp scary beeping sound comes up.  I
>know that's normal, but it makes me jump; it's scary.  How do I get rid of
>it?

I don't understand the question.  What do you mean by "got past a
screen"?

>3. Do I have to install pico and nedit myself?

Yes, but via pkgsrc, which will make it very easy.  See
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html for details.
Both pico and nedit are in pkgsrc/editors.

>4. I have a laptop.  How do I shut down the computer completely?  Do I
>take out the battery?

Do you mean power it down? Make sure you're running a kernel with the
'apm' pseudo-device and do 'shutdown -p'