Subject: Re: oversized ramdisk
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/20/2003 15:35:56
On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:04:48AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 08:14:03PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
>   | ramdisk-big has grown too much.. Guessing: more obsolete files in
>   | the list.. It seems we're on a loosing wicket, as that list will
>   | just grow. Maybe a different way of dealing with them? Doesn't the
>   | list of obsolete files end up in base.tgz, so do they really need to
>   | live in the ramdisk?
>
> That's a good point; sysinst doesn't really need to have support for
> the obsolete sets any more, since etc/postinstall on the extracted
> system can do the same job.

The primary reason to add support for removing obsolete files/dirs in
sysinst was to deal with file type change (specifically, the
machine -> i386 / i386 -> machine symlink change in usr/include) which
broke tar when it wanted to make a directory and there was a file/symlink
with the same name in place (or the other way round, I don't remember). Can
pax deal with this ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>