Subject: VIA EPIA-M
To: Port-i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2003 09:44:18
Hi,

I've been trying to get a VIA EPIA-M box working, but still have no
audio or X.  I built XFree 4.3.0, which recognizes the CastleRock
display controller, but can't find any usable modes.  I googled a bit
and found out that the VESA driver does not work, but that the linux
via driver binary supplied by VIA should work.  Indeed, it works to
some degree - it probes the monitor, picks the display modes, etc.
but then XFree crashes with

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

I tried both XFree 4.2.1 and 4.3.0, neither one works.  Has anyone
had better luck?  I'd like to build a silent X terminal or some such
out of this thing, but without X, I can't do much.

I'm trying a -current kernel to see if audio works with it - I didn't
get it going with 1.6.1 (the audio hardware was not configured).

  -jm