Subject: Re: fxp - unable to map device registers
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Adam Glass <adam@clarity.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/16/2003 00:55:23
Takahiro wrote:
> Don't you enable "PNP OS Installed" of BIOS configuration?

The machine in question (a Supermicro P4SBE system) does not have
such an option; it has "Resources controlled by", which has two
possible settings: "Auto(ECSD)" and "Manual".  I switched it to
manual and it worked, and I thought I'd solved the problem, but
then I rebooted again and fxp1 was gone.

This part blows my mind: then I rebooted again and it was back.
Indeed, rebooted the machine 10 times, and with perfect regularity,
fxp1 would not work on every other boot.  I tried it with a GENERIC
kernel, with the aforementioned CUSTOM kernel, with the 1.6-release
GENERIC kernel ... they all did the exact same thing.  Here's the
output of a file produced by appending the output from 'ifconfig -l'
to a file on each boot:

  fxp0 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 fxp1 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 fxp1 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 fxp1 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 fxp1 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1
  fxp0 fxp1 lo0 ppp0 ppp1 sl0 sl1 strip0 strip1

Any suggestions?