Subject: Re: Computer hangs after reading the install floppies
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/06/2003 20:57:32
On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 06:48:10PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 06:36:26PM +0200, Torsten Sadowski wrote:
> > No, Idon't get anything (even with boot -d). All I see is
> >
> > booting fd0a:netbsd (howto 0x40)
> > 3175872/
> > Please remove disk 1...
> > +2144420+164800=0x53c398
>
> The boot block should report the amout of memory. Does this match what's
> really installed in the machine ?
> And, BTW, how much memory do you have ?

On Wednesday someone brought in a windozed Toshiba Satellite 2140CDS. Somehow
the boot blocks got 160Mb for it and I had to

options         REALBASEMEM=639         # size of base memory (in KB)
options         REALEXTMEM=64512        # size of extended memory (in KB)

for it. The strange thing is that on the web someone posted a dmesg for
that very model => I would assume that normally things are reported
correctly. What should I assume? Broken BIOS? Something changed in the
bootblocks since the dmesg was posted?

Cheers,

Patrick