Subject: Re: TS-5500
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/03/2003 02:22:22
In message <200304030142.h331gIxb026271@guild.plethora.net>, Peter Seebach writ
es:
>Anyone used one of these (www.embeddedx86.com) with NetBSD?  Initial
>experimentation suggests some hefty magic in the boot process; it comes
>with DOS on a flash file system, and also a Linux boot loader.  The
>Linux boot loader seems to think there's no standard keyboard.  I've tried
>biosboot, biosboot_com1, and dosboot, and all of them just hang...

A bit of further study suggests that a fairly standard Linux bootloader
will load on this, and that, once booted, that kernel would just use ttyS1
(BIOS COM2) as a console port.  This doesn't look all that different from the
Soekris Net4501/Net4511/Net4521, and I haven't spotted anything to explain why
it won't work.  It's particularly disturbing that 'dosboot -i' hangs
immediately; this suggests that something about the BIOS calls in the
standalone code is causing the problem.

-s