Subject: Re: OpenOffice and JRE
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rumi Szabolcs <rumi_ml@rtfm.hu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/02/2003 21:25:24
On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:58:57 -0500
Dmitry Zhukov <DZhukov@celeritysolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Last night I tried installing OpenOffice included in v. 1.6, and pkg_add
> failed because it could not locate a Java package the OpenOffice package
> depends on, something like "sun-jre". This seemed strange, because I am used
> to the fact that NetBSD ISO's are built in a way that they are
> "self-contained".
>
> I could not locate such package on the CDs or the FTP either, so I was
> wondering if anyone could help me out with this by telling where to look.

Others please correct me when I'm wrong, but I think this is due
to licensing issues with the Sun JRE. It cannot be contained on
the NetBSD CD, nor on the NetBSD FTP sites, it can only be
downloaded directly from Sun. So you will probably have to install
it from pkgsrc (lang/sun-jre*), which might require you to accept
the Sun JRE license via /etc/mk.conf and then it will be downloaded
directly from Sun.

Regards,
Szabolcs Rumi