Subject: Re: How to override detection of physical memory?
To: NetBSD/i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <soren@blef.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/01/2003 22:21:11
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 04:56:29PM -0800, Bryan P wrote:
> Is there a way to override the detection of physical memory at bootup?
> something akin to the "mem=XXX" option in Linux.  I need to be able to boot
> NetBSD and leave some amount of upper physical memory untouched.

This should work:

# The following options override the memory sizes passed in from the
# boot block.  Use them *only* if the boot block is unable to determine
# the correct values.  Note that the BIOS may *correctly* report less
# than 640k of base memory if the extended BIOS data area is located at
# the top of base memory (as is the case on most recent systems).
#options        REALBASEMEM=639         # size of base memory (in KB)
#options        REALEXTMEM=15360        # size of extended memory (in KB)

--
Soren Jacobsen