Subject: Re: "real" OpenBSD compat - how hard would it be?
To: Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
From: Todd T. Fries <todd@fries.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/20/2003 11:29:03
It's just me rambling.  If I were to guess, sometime in the next month dale
will commit things, but I'm not authorative in any way to say for sure.

I know the action is poised and ready.  I have a machine already running elf,
doing testing:

	toshi$ file /usr/bin/file
	/usr/bin/file: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, for OpenBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
	toshi$ uname -a
	OpenBSD toshi.fries.net 3.3 GENERIC#9 i386
	toshi$

Not that it will matter much, but my understanding of one of the reasons for
switching to elf is that it permits more sections in the binary to be
specified, which allows for enforcement of more non-executable sections.
--
Todd Fries .. todd@fries.net

Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                    Land: 405-748-4596
http://FreeDaemonConsulting.fries.net        Mobile: 405-203-6124
"..in support of free software solutions."

Key fingerprint: 37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
            Key: http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt

(last updated 2003/03/13 07:14:10)

Penned by Diana Eichert on Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:26:25AM -0700, we have: