Subject: Re: "real" OpenBSD compat - how hard would it be?
To: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/19/2003 22:36:25
> I can't help but think of that old saying:
>
>     "The difference between theory and practice is a lot bigger in
>      practice than in theory."
>
> ...which I think is particularly true when it comes to porting
> compilers... ;-)

Well, we do have old version (4.x) in pkgsrc/lang/ghc, even through it
only works for a.out x86, i.e. max NetBSD 1.5. There is a FreeBSD
port for 5.04.2 (ports/lang/{ghc|ghc-doc}/), so it shouldn't
(in theory) be particularily hard to make it working under NetBSD.
At worst, using the FreeBSD bootstrap compiler. Or you can just run
the FreeBSD ghc binary under emulation.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/