Subject: Re: X crashing
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Matthew Geddes <mgeddes@tellurian.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2003 12:01:56
On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 11:33, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> have you tried -
>
>         Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"

Err, whoops (slaps forehead). I'll check that when I get back to the
machine.

> > The second problem I'm having directly impacts what I can do to fix
> > the crashing X problem. After X dies, my console goes blank (black
> > text on black background?). I know the console's still there, as I've
> > been able to 'shutdown -r now'. Again, this occurs with the GENERIC
> > and GENERIC_LAPTOP kernels, as well as one or two others. Any ideas /
> > suggestions?
>
> this looks like the "famous" XFree86-is-not-restoring-VGA-pallete-correctly
> bug in various XFree86-4.x drivers.  what card do you have and what

Looks very much like that sort of problem.

> driver are you using?  in case it's Silicon Motion Lynx* using
> siliconmotion driver as at the url above, try this patch (which i found
> at a japanese NetBSD mailing list some time ago):

It's an S3 Virge/MX. I've had problems on with the S3 driver on Linux
and FreeBSD (which is why I'm using the VESA X driver). Now that you've
reminded me about the palette problem, I'll see if Mr Google has
anything to say on the matter.

thx,
Matt