Subject: X crashing
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Geddes <mgeddes@tellurian.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2003 10:39:11
Hi all,

I've been playing with NetBSD 1.6 on my laptop over the past few days,
but I'm still having a few problems. The first problem has very similar
symptoms to a problem someone on this list had earlier this year:

   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2003/01/17/0000.html

The difference being that X doesn't crash if I don't touch the mouse.
The laptop's a Toshiba 1550CDS (the 2100 Satellite with a slower CPU).
The display works fine (using the vesa X driver), but 'G spot' mouse
(PS/2) seems to be the cause of my troubles. I have PS/2 support in the
kernel (I've tried with a few of the kernels from the CD, as well as a
custom one), but given that the mouse is my CorePointer and X starts, it
hardly looks like a lack of PS/2 mouse support in the kernel. Can anyone
offer some suggestions as to how I can find the cause of the problem and
perhaps fix it?

I haven't got my XF86Config or XFree86.0.log here, otherwise I'd post
them, but X is configured to use /dev/wsmouse as the CorePointer using
the PS/2 protocol (which seemed to work fine with both FreeBSD and
Linux)

The second problem I'm having directly impacts what I can do to fix the
crashing X problem. After X dies, my console goes blank (black text on
black background?). I know the console's still there, as I've been able
to 'shutdown -r now'. Again, this occurs with the GENERIC and
GENERIC_LAPTOP kernels, as well as one or two others. Any ideas /
suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Matt