Subject: Re: SATA
To: None <netbsd@ns.purk.ee>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/2003 08:18:53
On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 06:10:43PM +0200, netbsd@ns.purk.ee wrote:

 > Recently i saw that Wasabisystem is supporting SATA controllers in ISCASI SOLUTIONS and
 > i wonder if this stack is going to be in upcoming 2.0 release? (SATA support)

NetBSD already supports Intel's S-ATA RAID controller (the "icp" driver
Just Works with it).  As far as "plain" S-ATA controller chips:

	* The extant Silicon Image controller should be easy to support,
	  and will likely Just Work, apart from DMA support.

	* Intel's forthcoming i31244 controller Just Works in legacy
	  PCI IDE mode (apart from DMA support, which I have code for,
	  but which is not ready to check in).  The i31244 also supports
	  a mode called DPA (Direct Port Access), which effectively
	  gives each S-ATA port its down "channel" as far as software
	  is concerned, which leads to improved performance.

One thing that has not been addressed yet is the S-ATA equivalent of
Tagged Queueing (in SCSI).  However, this is a performance issue, not
a basic functionality issue.