Subject: 1.6.1 installer and GRUB
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/2003 20:52:45
I had a person approach me with questions about how to install
NetBSD 1.6.1 (RC2 - releng) on a drive with GRUB installed. He was
trying to determine boot block options using sysinst. I don't have
a spare machine to test with and we couldn't determine from the
installer manual or any of the netbsd.org manuals (or anwhere else
on the net) precisely what the options are and how to use them with
sysinst (and I don't dual-boot any of my machines). He said that
the installer manual glosses over a number of important details.

Does anyone know of a more detailed explanation of how to set up
NetBSD to work with GRUB? The instructions we found stop at the
point where he is uncertain.

I read the installer manual several times and I couldn't even
identify where in the manual it was talking about the options he
said sysinst presents.  Possibly it would be good to review the
installer manual and sync it with what sysinst actually does. If
not in disagreement, possibly it could be worded more clearly.

This is not a problem with GRUB. It's with making sure that the
NetBSD bootloader is installed in the correct location.

Thanks