Subject: Re: Several Issues
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/18/2003 14:11:56

> > > Do you have out of sync kernel and userland ?
> > >
> > Excuse my ignorance, but isn't sysctl interface here to keep
> > compatibility, even if userland and kernel are out of sync? What's the
> > point of using sysctl if you must keep them in sync? You might as well
> > grovel kernel memory, no?

It should work if you have options COMPAT_16 in your kernel.

Kernel backward compatibility is only kept when you have appropriate
COMPAT_* options in your kernel.

According to commit log in sub_disk.c, there were several bugs
in how programs used hw.diskstats, so when a change the disk statistics
was made, it made vmstat/iostat/systat break. They were fixed
in current so that they won't break in future if similar change
would be done again.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/