Subject: Re: Multiple Gig-Ether cards functional?
To: David W <djw@spamcop.net>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2003 15:43:46

> I'm looking at building a testbed IPSec router/BITW SG using NetBSD 1.6
> using its KAME IPSec stack.
>
> Does anyone have any experience putting two Gigabit ethernet cards, such as
> one using the "Intel i82544GC 1000BASE-T Ethernet" chip, which is supported
> in NetBSD 1.6, in a single 2.x Ghz PC?  Will KAME function ok with the

what kind of PC it is?

CPU clock may be less important that companion chips and memory speed.

each packet will be

a) transferred from card to memory
b) processed = read and write from/to memory
c) transferred to card from memory.

so memory speed must be HIGHER than 4*routed traffic=4*200=800MB/s
and PCI should give 400MB/s

so you need machine with 2 64-bit PCI busses (or one with 66Mhz/64 bit),
and at least 1GB/s memory speed.

i never seen such fast PC, but new RDRAM P4 may be CLOSE to that.