Subject: Re: Linux extended-extended partitions
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/16/2003 07:34:56

> istari# mbrlabel -w wd1
> Found Linux Ext2 partition; size 1044162 (509 MB), offset 63
>   skipping existing Linux Ext2 partition at slot e.

<snip>

> Updating in-core disk label.
> istari# mount -t ext2fs /dev/wd1m /mnt
> mount_ext2fs: /dev/wd1m on /mnt: Device not configured

As someone else pointed out, the in-core disk label is 'thrown away'
when the deveice is no longer in use - in this case as soom as mbrlabel
exits!

Various tricks can be used to keep the device active.

$ exec 3 </dev/rwd1a

might work...

Can you send me (privately is fine) what netbsd's fdisk reports for that
disk?  I want to know precisely how linux is setting up the extended
partition list in order to make netbsd's fdisk process it properly.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk