Subject: Re: Linux extended-extended partitions
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/16/2003 00:05:00
At 07:56 PM 2/14/2003 +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Michael Richardson wrote:
> > I have a disk that I have moved from a Linux box to a NetBSD box.
> > It has about 16 partitions on it. There is one, that I wouldn't
> > mind retrieving data from before I wipe the disk. It is not
> > among the first partitions, so "disklabel wd1" does not see it.
>
>Try mbrlabel(8) with the "-w" flag (to update the in-core label)
>but without the "-r" flag (to not update the on-disk label).

One caveat - in my experience, if the disk just has a "fake" disklabel (not
on the disk, but only in memory, as is usually the case when there is no
NetBSD partition on the disk) you need to have at least one partition from
the disk already mounted before running mbrlabel in order for its work to
"stick". I usually first mount the "primary" DOS partition (which is always
properly visible in the fake disklabel), then run mbrlabel as instructed
above, then mount the extended partitions that I need.