Subject: ehci not detected on CardBus USB 2.0, and ochi problems with aue that
From: Alicia da Conceiao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2003 04:07:55
--------------CDCBE06626BD2F6CC3400E84

Greetings:

I recently purchased a fully compliant USB 2.0 EHCI CardBus PCMCIA
card, so that I can use it to access high speed USB 2.0 devices at
480mbps.  This card has a NEC chipset, and contains two OHCI and
one EHCI.

Unfortunately, although NetBSD 1.6 can detect both OHCI (USB 1.1) on
this card, it cannot detect the high speed EHCI (USB 2.0).  (See boot
messages below for details.)  Does anyone have any ideas on what can
be done to get NetBSD to detech EHCI on this card?

Also, I am having trouble with USB ethernet adapters, with the Pegasus
II chipset, when connected to a OCHI, even though they work perfectly
under UCHI.  (Keep in mind the trouble with NetBSD, and is not hardware
based since they work fine under Win98.)  Anyways, under NetBSD 1.6,
when I plug them into a OCHI, the kernel properly detects it as an
"aue" interface, and I am able to easily configure it, and I can even
send pings across the Internet.  However, when I attempt any TCP traffic,
I lose over half of my packets, even on a local network, and the kernel
generates tons of error messages:

	aue0: 1 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 4 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 3 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 7 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 4 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 3 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 1 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 7 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 13 usb errors on intr: IOERROR
	aue0: 7 usb errors on intr: IOERROR

Again, these errors never occur when the exact same USB ethernet
adaptor is plugged into a laptop or desktop with UCHI, but do occur
when plugged into my desktop and laptop with OCHI, regardless of
whether or not the OCHI is on the motherboard or on a PCI/PCMCIA card.
In fact the OCHI on the motherboard on my Toshiba Portege notebook and
the OCHI on my USB 2.0 CardBus do not work after going into sleep mode
(zzz).  I am running the neccessary USB processes:

	2 ??  DK    0:00.02 [usb0]
	3 ??  DK    0:00.00 [usbtask]

And after waking up from sleep mode, all of the USB devices are
redetected, and any new USB devices I attach or detach are also
detected.  But none of them work.  For example, before sleep mode, if I
cat the device file for the USB mouse  "/dev/wsmouse1", I get lots of
characters when I move the mouse or press the buttons; but after sleep
mode, cat'ting the same device files does not produce any output.  If I
remove the USB CardBus card after awaking up from sleep mode and insert
the card again, then the USB devices connected to it do work again.  Of
course this is not an option for the USB controller on the motherboard.

And lastly, while on the topic of USB and sleep mode, is there a way
to get X-windows (XFree86) to use USB mouses after waiting up from
sleep mode or disconnecting and reconnect the mouse?  When I specify
(Option "Device" "/dev/wsmouse1") in my XF86Config file, and
disconnect & reconnect the USB mouse, the "/dev/wsmouse1" device file
still works, but doesn't work in X, forcing me to restart X in order
to get the mouse to work again.

Any assistance is greatly appreciate.  Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Alicia.

=== boot message for built in USB ==========================
ohci0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: NEC USB Host Controller (rev. 0x02)
ohci0: interrupting at irq 11
ohci0: OHCI version 1.0
usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: NEC OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
=== boot message for USB 2.0 CardBus PCMCIA ================
ohci1 at cardbus0 dev 0 function 0: NEC USB Host Controller (rev. 0x41)
ohci1: interrupting at 11
ohci1: OHCI version 1.0
usb1 at ohci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1
uhub1: NEC OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ohci2 at cardbus0 dev 0 function 1: NEC USB Host Controller (rev. 0x41)
ohci2: interrupting at 11
ohci2: OHCI version 1.0
usb2 at ohci2: USB revision 1.0
uhub2 at usb2
uhub2: NEC OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
 NEC USB Host Controller (USB serial bus, interface 0x20, revision 0x02) at
cardbus0 dev 0 function 2 not configured
=== optical mouse on CardBus USB ===========================
uhidev0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev0: Genesys Logic USB Mouse, rev 1.00/2.42, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0
=== Pegasus II ethernet adaptor on CardBus USB =============
aue0 at uhub1 port 1
aue0: I-O DATA DEVICE,INC. USB-ET/TX-S, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2
aue0: Ethernet address 00:a0:b0:18:3e:10
ukphy0 at aue0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy0: ACXXX 10/100 media interface (OUI 0x0010a9, model 0x0001), rev. 0
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
--------------CDCBE06626BD2F6CC3400E84

begin:vcard
n:da Conceicao;Alicia
tel;cell:+1-416-732-2491
tel;fax:+1-647-439-0964
tel;work:+1-416-239-2041
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:CardEngine Inc.
adr:;;1185 Islington Avenue;Toronto;ON;M8Z4S8;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:alicia@engine.ca
title:CTO, VP of Technology
x-mozilla-cpt:;-19008