Subject: Re: failure to boot 1.6 install cdrom on Thinkpad 600E
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: Juha Hyttinen <jthyttin@lce.hut.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2003 10:30:31
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, John Kohl wrote:

> The ThinkPad 600E doesn't grok booting from 2.88MB floppy images
> embedded in CDs.  I have the same problem :(
>
> When I update, I copy the installation kernel (includes filesystem) onto
> the real root file system and boot from that.  If this is your first
> time, you need to build a 2-floppy set.

I recently installed NetBSD 1.6 into Sony Vaio PCG-C1XD without any
CD/floppy drive, only a working NIC:

	- boot into W98

	- download dosboot.com to hard drive from:
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/i386/installation/misc/

	- download INSTALL_LAPTOP kernel to hard drive from:
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/i386/binary/kernel/

	- uncompress the INSTALL_LAPTOP kernel (I actually uncompressed it
	  on other NetBSD, but should be possible on W98 with some tools)

	- boot W98 into "Safe mode with command prompt" (to avoid
	  himem.sys or something to be loaded)

	- dosboot the NetBSD kernel (pointer for details below)

	- check that networking is OK (I used kue0(4), and NetBSD
	  installer provides you a nice interface)

	- install the NetBSD using installer, and a FTP server on local
	  network (CD drive on 600E propably works at this point)

	(- upgrade to current)

This document provided me some useful hints on dosboot:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.i386.html

--
Juha Hyttinen
LCE sysadmin group