Subject: Re: APM *and* ACPI or is it APM *or* ACPI?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/2003 17:32:03
Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> It would be possible to make it use the current interface to tell
> userland the temperature. However, the "tell the user the temperature"
> part of the Thermal Zone stuff is the smallest part of it -- like the
> paint on a car vs. the rest of the car. The parts that are actually
> important deal with doing things like keeping your system from
> melting.

Well, I presumed there would be some userland daemon to actually
take care of taking steps to avoid system meltdown, and the
daemon would somehow need to know current values. Using sysmon
would have advantage of using same interface as other environment
sensors.

Doing it in kernel thread is fine too, of course. Then you don't
need to worry about userland interface to it ;)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/