Subject: Re: APM *and* ACPI or is it APM *or* ACPI?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/2003 10:41:53
Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de> writes:
> > What you'll need to do is to execute the appropriate ACPI method to
> > assure that the fan is turned on when ACPI gets an event indicating
> > that the temperature has gotten too high. See section 12 of the ACPI
> > manual.
>
> Yet another stupid design decision in PC hardware. Fans should auto-switch
> on when the temperature is too high. Implemented in hardware. I
> guess we can't circumvent this? (Other than keeping the fan always
> running)

Some ACPI laptops do not present a thermal zone device at all. Some
do. The ones that do have a nice feature -- in theory, the machine can
select between low performance/quiet and high performance/noisy.

As I noted, FreeBSD has their thermal zone driver fully working from
what I can tell.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com