Subject: Re: APM *and* ACPI or is it APM *or* ACPI?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: BlueAgent <blueagent@subdimension.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/2003 23:08:16
--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:04:28AM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> hi,

G'day,

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:47:08PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>=20
> > What you'll need to do is to execute the appropriate ACPI method to
> > assure that the fan is turned on when ACPI gets an event indicating
> > that the temperature has gotten too high. See section 12 of the ACPI
> > manual.
>=20
> Yet another stupid design decision in PC hardware. Fans should auto-switch
> on when the temperature is too high. Implemented in hardware. I guess we =
can't
> circumvent this? (Other than keeping the fan always running)

I guess there should be some way to circumvent this, Windows seems to
be able to control fan speed on my brand new HP Pavilion 724a. While
running FreeBSD and going through POST, it runs at full speed, which is
the default. When I boot Windows on it, the fan slows down as soon as it
reaches the Windows XP splash screen, and it occasionally spins up when
I'm doing something intensive. I've got no clue how well this sort of
thing is documented, though.

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--