Subject: Re: APM *and* ACPI or is it APM *or* ACPI?
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/2003 10:47:25

> > > YMMV. I think because of the cardbus thing on my Dell L400, I'll forgoe
> > > the apmd power management. However I'm a bit worried that since I did ACPI
> > > I've seen the return of phantom halts which in FreeBSD were put down to
> > > CPU overheating.(eg during build.sh)
> >
> > Does your fan come on at all?  On some machines it seems that
> > enabling ACPI makes the system assume the OS will control the fan,
> > so it steps out of the way. On others (like my Dell) the fan still
> > comes on and off by itself.
> >
> > --
> > Dan.
>
> No. my fan is on for BIOS boot, and then stops. This is a Dell L400, at
> current BIOS spec (there is a known L400 thermal management issue which
> required a BIOS u/g)
>
> I probed:
> 	acpitz0 at acpi0 (): ACPI Thermal Zone
>
> at boot time. Is this enough for me to bootstrap some kind of fan on/off
> behaviour?

Allow me a stupid questions: Why would anyone want to manipulate the on/off
times of a cooling fan? The system's manufacturer would have set these to
match certain specifications that are mostly unknown to the common people
and interference with this may possibly void system warranty.

All aside, acpibat and acpitz currently doen't work on Dell Inspiron 8100
laptops.

cheerio Berndt