Subject: Re: APM *and* ACPI or is it APM *or* ACPI?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/2003 09:22:06

> > YMMV. I think because of the cardbus thing on my Dell L400, I'll forgoe
> > the apmd power management. However I'm a bit worried that since I did ACPI
> > I've seen the return of phantom halts which in FreeBSD were put down to
> > CPU overheating.(eg during build.sh)
>
> Does your fan come on at all?  On some machines it seems that
> enabling ACPI makes the system assume the OS will control the fan,
> so it steps out of the way. On others (like my Dell) the fan still
> comes on and off by itself.
>
> --
> Dan.

No. my fan is on for BIOS boot, and then stops. This is a Dell L400, at
current BIOS spec (there is a known L400 thermal management issue which
required a BIOS u/g)

I probed:
	acpitz0 at acpi0 (): ACPI Thermal Zone

at boot time. Is this enough for me to bootstrap some kind of fan on/off
behaviour?

cheers

-george