Subject: Re: APM *and* ACPI or is it APM *or* ACPI?
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/2003 22:47:08
George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> writes:
> No. my fan is on for BIOS boot, and then stops. This is a Dell L400, at
> current BIOS spec (there is a known L400 thermal management issue which
> required a BIOS u/g)
>
> I probed:
> 	acpitz0 at acpi0 (): ACPI Thermal Zone
>
> at boot time. Is this enough for me to bootstrap some kind of fan on/off
> behaviour?

What you'll need to do is to execute the appropriate ACPI method to
assure that the fan is turned on when ACPI gets an event indicating
that the temperature has gotten too high. See section 12 of the ACPI
manual.

I hope to have some code added to our ACPI stuff soon to do
this. However, I can't make any promises.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com