Subject: failure to boot 1.6 install cdrom on Thinkpad 600E
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <dme@dme.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/2003 08:43:36
I burned a copy of i386cd.iso onto a disk (using a Mac).  It works
fine in a Dell desktop system that I have.

On a Thinkpad 600E with internal CD-ROM, the machine loads the
bootloader from the CD, and then offers 'hd11a:netbsd' as the default
option.

Listing the devices using 'dev' shows only hd11a.  All of the other
i386 machines I've used have mapped a bootable CD-ROM to 'fd0a' - is
this a problem or something specific to the Thinkpad ?

Attempting to boot 'hd11a:netbsd' results in the kernel text being
loaded (first number is printed), but then the machine hangs.  Only a
hard-reset will recover.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behaviour ?

It's possible that the CD-ROM drive is broken, but it seems to work
fine under Windows 98.  I have a floppy drive for this machine
somewhere, so if this is insurmountable there are still other options
available.

I'm not subscribed to port-i386, so copies of replies would be
appreciated (but not required, I can read through the archive).