Subject: Re: MP Duh's
To: D. E. Evans <sinuhe@xmission.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/2003 10:42:05
D. E. Evans asked:

> Am I correct in understanding that all userland software must be
> written to either 1) multi-thread with a second processor or 2)
> run on the second processor directly, to take advantage of the
> MP kernel?

No -- multiple processes can run on the different processors, so
applications such as PostgreSQL and Apache that fork multiple
processes may see improvement immediately.

Similarly, when you are running multiple processes (Apache, and a perl
CGI script say) they may run simultaneously on different processors.

Note that scalability is not 100% per additional processor,
particularly while NetBSD still has most of (all of?) the kernel
protected by a "big lock".  Finer grained locking will improve
performance in time.

Regards,

Giles