Subject: Re: questions about netbsd
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: KroNiC~BSD <kronic_bsd@fastmail.fm>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/09/2003 14:45:49
--------------000401070203080904000906

OK, Thanks.....Now would it be possible to use another algorithm such as
AES or Blowfish?
I am still trying to find out what's different in regards to security in
netbsd vrs. openbsd. Openbsd says they use encryption built into several
areas of the operating system....anyone know exactly which areas and how
if needed i can add this to the appropriate areas of netbsd?

Another question: Can i encrypt the swap space on netbsd?

thanks again and have a good day.

der Mouse wrote:

>>>such as the blowfish password algorithm?
>>>

>>The passwd algortithms are not part of the kernel,
>>

>Right.
>

>>NetBSD [...] supports MD5 (in addidition to the historical 3DES).
>>

>The historical algorithm is DES-based, not 3DES-based.  It does use
>multiple iterations of DES, in a manner very vaguely reminiscent of
>3DES, but it's not really fair to call it 3DES-based.  (It's also a
>slightly mutated DES.)
>
>/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
>\ / Ribbon Campaign
> X  Against HTML	       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
>/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

--------------000401070203080904000906

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
OK, Thanks.....Now would it be possible to use another algorithm such as
AES or Blowfish?<br>
I am still trying to find out what's different in regards to security in
netbsd vrs. openbsd. Openbsd says they use encryption built into several
areas of the operating system....anyone know exactly which areas and how
if needed i can add this to the appropriate areas of netbsd? <br>
Another question: Can i encrypt the swap space on netbsd?<br>
thanks again and have a good day.<br>
der Mouse wrote:<br>
 cite="mid200302091948.OAA04647@Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA">
      <pre wrap="">such as the blowfish password algorithm?
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">The passwd algortithms are not part of the kernel,
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Right.

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">NetBSD [...] supports MD5 (in addidition to the historical 3DES).
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
The historical algorithm is DES-based, not 3DES-based.  It does use
multiple iterations of DES, in a manner very vaguely reminiscent of
3DES, but it's not really fair to call it 3DES-based.  (It's also a
slightly mutated DES.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca">mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca</a>