Subject: Re: eap1371_ready_codec timeout problem v1.6
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/07/2003 20:19:33
from Video Mike <mike@cpdist.com>:

> I am getting an error message "eap1371_ready_codec timeout" with the
> Creative Labs CT4810 Sound card.  I searched for a solution to this probl=
> em
> and could only find a similar problem back in v1.5.1 with no replies to
> address this so I am requesting help on this one with the v1.6 kernel.  A=
> times the system boots normally and I have included the dmesg output to
> show this also. When this problem occurs, I am not even able to boot X11.

I have a different type of error message (unknown codec, no 3D stereo) with a
related sound card, Creative Labs/Ensoniq CT5880, which is actually on a
motherboard, Gigabyte GA-7DXR.  I was unable to get past the login prompt with
NetBSD 1.5.2 with the generic kernel or to get through the boot in single-user
mode so was never actually able to test this sound in NetBSD.  However, I was
able to DOSBOOT NetBSD 1.6 generic kernel in single-user mode and would like to
try again with NetBSD 1.6.1 when CDs are released: not sure how it will sound,
but hope there will be support in 1.6.1 or a near-future NetBSD release.

Here is the relevant part of the dmesg when DOSBOOTing NetBSD 1.6 generic
kernel:

eap0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: Ensoniq CT5880 (rev. 0x03)
eap0: interrupting at irq 5
eap0: unknown (0x00000000) codec; no 3D stereo
audio0 at eap0: full duplex, mmap, independent
midi0 at eap0: AudioPCI MIDI UART