Subject: Re: 1.6 and SCSI tapes and Amanda
To: None <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/07/2003 18:10:08

    >> The only consistent thing is that the stack trace is never the same.
    >> I wish I could provide more info than this.  This is my console
    >> server, so I will have to screw around a whole bunch to get a serial
    >> console on it.

    Brian> It's imposible to even offer an opinion with out the kernel
    Brian> messages. Do you have the disk setup to dump core to /var/crash ?

So, here is a second one, from a more recent kernel. Appears to have
occured while backups were occuring. Note that I told amanda to skip
dumping the local disks.

istari-[/var/crash] mcr 1002 %ls -lta
total 136532
- -rw-------   1 root  wheel   3162414 Feb  7 16:14 netbsd.6
drwxr-x---   2 root  wheel       512 Feb  7 16:14 ./
- -rw-------   1 root  wheel  66716180 Feb  7 16:14 netbsd.6.core
- -rw-------   1 root  wheel         2 Feb  7 16:14 bounds
drwxr-xr-x  29 root  wheel       512 Dec 29 22:38 ../
- -rw-------   1 root  wheel   3087933 Dec 19 01:44 netbsd.5
- -rw-------   1 root  wheel  66716180 Dec 19 01:44 netbsd.5.core
- -rw-------   1 root  wheel         5 Nov 13  1999 minfree
istari-[/var/crash] mcr 1003 %j
istari-[/var/crash] mcr 1004 %su
Password:
istari# gdb netbsd.6
GNU gdb 5.0nb1
This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsdelf"...(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) target kcore netbsd.6.core
panic: cpu_switch
#0  0x1 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x1 in ?? ()
#1  0xc02979f3 in cpu_reboot ()
#2  0xc01d4463 in panic ()
#3  0xc0100884 in remrunqueue ()
#4  0xc01f0c05 in vfs_shutdown ()
#5  0xc02979cb in cpu_reboot ()
#6  0xc01d4463 in panic ()
#7  0xc01008be in switch_error ()
#8  0xc01cbbd9 in bpendtsleep ()
#9  0xc01d77cc in sys_select ()
#10 0xc029cd3f in syscall_plain ()
#11 0xc0100d3e in syscall1 ()
can not access 0xbfbfd8cc, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xbfbfd8cc, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xbfbfd8cc