Subject: Problem with pppoe connection...
To: NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wojciech Piotrowski <netbsd_i386@piotros.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/2003 20:43:57
Hi everyone... I'm reading this mailing list for some time, and
finally I have a problem... 8-)

The problem is with my authorized connection to ISP via PPPoE.

I setup a connection as was described on
www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe

Everything works fine. When computer starts, pppoe ups connection and
all seems to be fine until my ISP do something in it's authorization
server. I described this below.

My version of NetBSD system is 1.6

My config file's are:

/etc/ifconfig.pppoe0:
--------------------
create
! /sbin/ifconfig rtk0 up
! /sbin/pppoectl -e rtk0 $int
! /sbin/pppoectl $int myauthproto=pap 'myauthname=xxx' \
'myauthsecret=xxx' hisauthproto=none
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 up
--------------------

/etc/rc.conf has two additional lines to automatically up the
connection if it is down:
-----------
ifwatchd=YES
ifwatchd_flags="-u /etc/ppp/ip-up -d /etc/ppp/ip-down pppoe0"
-----------

/etc/ppp/ip-up:
--------------
#! /bin/sh
/sbin/route add default $5
--------------

/etc/ppp/ip-down:
----------------
#! /bin/sh
/sbin/route delete default $5
----------------

All of this setup works fine until authorization server is
unavailable. You can see this below.

I found this in LOG:
-------------------
Feb  6 04:16:02 xxx /netbsd: pppoe0: LCP keepalive timed out, going to
restart the connection
Feb  6 04:16:32 xxx /netbsd: pppoe0: pap failure
Feb  6 04:16:37 xxx last message repeated 4 times
Feb  6 04:16:38 xxx /netbsd: pppoe0: authentication failed 5 times, not
retrying again

There is a problem with authorization and after 5 retries IFWATCH
gives up. Is there a setup file in which I can change number of
retries and delay of ifwatch? Or maybe there is another way to do
that?

Thanks for all of yours ideas.

Wojciech Piotrowski

e-mail: netbsd_i386[at]piotros[dot]org