Subject: Re: IDE 48-bit addressing
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/04/2003 12:56:18
On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 01:09:16PM +0100, Rumi Szabolcs wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to find out what is needed to support >128GB disks
> on i386pc. AFAIK 1.6 does have IDE 48-bit addressing support,
> please correct me when I'm wrong. But it also needs some kind
> of motherboard level support, isn't it?

It shouldn't require motherboard support.  The is a possibility
that the BIOS might get confused (probably only about the disk
size), but that would only make it difficult to boot from such a disk.

IIRC the 48bit sector support is done by having a two entry fifo
on each of the sector number registers, and using a different
command to do the actual read and write.  All this happens
down on the disk, not in the PCI (or whatever) card.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk