Subject: Re: Visionary add
To: William Holton <holton@informatik.uni-muenchen.de>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/2003 12:11:13
On Sun 02 Feb 2003 at 01:05:14 +0100, William Holton wrote:

> Just saw your email about the cheap Targa Visionary from Lidl.  My wife and I
> just bought one (against my better judgement) and I've had an absolute
> nightmare trying to instal Linux (SuSE 8.1) on it.  It hangs when trying to
> activate the PCMCIA kernal.  Was wondering if you had any info or advice
> seeing as how I'm stuck with the thing now.  An alternative vendor maybe?

NetBSD 1.6 has so far been able to identify most of the hardware inside
it, with the exception of the CardBus bridge (also used for PCMCIA). It
didn't assign an IRQ for it, probably because the BIOS provides no
information about it (not even on its own boot screen). I changed the
kernel a bit to assume IRQ 9 in this case but since I have no PCMCIA
or CardBus cards I cannot test it.

Having said this, the Visionaries that were on offer were a different
model every time, so your model no doubt differs in several aspects from
mine (a 1900+).

> -Travis
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- Woe betide the one who feels
\X/ polderland.nl  -- remorse without sin - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4444.