Subject: java 2 on netbsd/i386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Osheim <eosheim1@swarthmore.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/31/2003 16:07:25
Hello list,

Recently, I wanted to set up java on my NetBSD machine (running 1.6). I
didn't want to use Japhar or Kaffe (since both seemed to be very early
jvms, and I wanted to be able to run at least java 1.2). I have linux
binary compatibility enabled in the kernel, and it looked like
blackdown was what I wanted. However, after having installed it (and
adding /usr/pkg/java/blackdown-1.3.1/bin to my path), things still
weren't working at all. "java -version" produces:

cage,[htdocs],3:55pm# java -version
/usr/pkg/java/blackdown-1.3.1/bin/../bin/i386/realpath: 21: Syntax
error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
/usr/pkg/java/blackdown-1.3.1/bin/java: /bin/realpath: not found
/usr/pkg/java/blackdown-1.3.1/bin/java: /bin/realpath: not found
grep: /lib/jvm.cfg: No such file or directory
grep: /lib/jvm.cfg: No such file or directory
/usr/pkg/java/blackdown-1.3.1/bin/java: /bin/realpath: not found
java was not found in /bin/i386/native_threads/java

I can send more output if necessary.

I'm not sure if I failed to configure blackdown properly or what. I
couldn't find any info on setting it up in
/usr/pkgsrc/lang/blackdown-jre13. I searched the web for more
information on using blackdown on netbsd, but I couldn't find anyone
claiming to be able to set it up and get it working.

If anyone knows of any resources on the web, or has any advice on how
to get blackdown working under netbsd/i386, I would be indebted. Any
other suggestions pertaining to java would be useful, but I am
reluctant to use any JVM that is older than 1.2.

Thanks,

-- Erik

P.S. My only real experience with Java has been on Solaris and MacOS X,
so I am a little bit spoiled when it comes to having to set it up (or
not having to, really!).