Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 & i386 SMP, ACPI, mly
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/16/2003 15:50:05
On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:04:12PM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:09:05PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >
> > I've got good results with the 1.6 branch + patches from i386mp_plus16_stable.
> >

> OK - but does that mean it is production ready?  Don't get me wrong,
> what we have is fantastic and it is deeply appreciated by me (at the
> very least ;-) but we must be wary of overselling what we have lest we
> get labelled with the "piece of crap" token.  I have experienced

Yesterday I would have said yes, but my machine crashed tonight after
36 days of uptime. It is collecting data from switches for mrtg (a few
perl processes starts every 5mn from cron) and cricket (one perl process
starts every minutes from cron). It's a panic from a LOCKDEBUG diagnostic
assertion so it's possible that this is a LOCKDEBUG problem, and a kernel
without LOCKDEBUG would be fine, but I don't know yet.
I've another, identical machine which is used as build machine (build.sh -j4,
packages bulk-build and other misc developement tasks) which has never paniced.

I'm now setting up a third machine which is intended to be a mail server.
I'll try to reproduce the LOCKDEBUG problem here.