Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 & i386 SMP, ACPI, mly
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/16/2003 14:04:12
On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:09:05PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> I've got good results with the 1.6 branch + patches from i386mp_plus16_stable.

OK - but does that mean it is production ready?  Don't get me wrong,
what we have is fantastic and it is deeply appreciated by me (at the
very least ;-) but we must be wary of overselling what we have lest we
get labelled with the "piece of crap" token.  I have experienced
problems with -current SMP on my i386 boxen.  Normally these are solved
by a "cvs update" and rebuild but whereas I can live with that on my
home boxes, I doubt if it would be very satisfactory for a production
environment - at least any production environment that I have had
experience with would not tolerate it.

--
Brett Lymn