Subject: Re: Booting to a device other than /dev/wd0a
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: CJ Kucera <pez@apocalyptech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2003 09:33:41
On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:56:30PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> If they're in that order, then wd0b isn't at the beginning of the
> NetBSD MBR partition.  (If wd0a is, I expect you to have problems as
> soon as the machine swaps, because I think it will swap on top of the
> NetBSD disklabel.  FFS filesystems carefully avoid touching the first
> 8K of their partitions, originally I think to avoid stomping on
> bootblocks, but today for the sake of disklabels too - that's why it's
> OK to have an FFS partition begin at the beginning of the NetBSD MBR
> partition.)

Aaaaaah.  I wasn't quite aware of that....

> I would guess you ahve enough RAM that it's never needed to swap. :-)

Yeah, I don't think that swap had been touched yet.  Drat.  Well, I
suppose it's time to reinstall, then.   :)  Thanks for the info!

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy        |  "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
apocalyptech.com/wow     |    way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,