Subject: semi-newbie question-nic,cdrom
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: c f ainsworth III <netbsd@optonline.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/13/2003 20:57:58
Its been a while since I have the any of the bsd's so go easy :) I have a
lot of seti machines and although its ending soon I want to convert all of
my machines over to NetBSD...............

I recently purchased the Wasabi 6cd set and the install went ok. Config'd X
OK.

Here's the problem. I've done netbsd ftp installs and everything went well.
I never gave the nic another thought. So I have no idea how to config one.
In freebsd I used sysinst....and it config'd  easy enough. I tried sushi
and I really have no idea what I am looking to do under networking.
Although changing the hostname went fine. I cannot ping anything on my
network here so I am assuming I am missing something fairly obvious.

Also after my install I tried mounting my cdrom.....

# mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt

I get "no disk label", in fact I got it on 3cds..... so again I am missing
something obvious. I can hear it spin up, unmount it and eject it with no
problems.

specs...

Xeon III 550mhz w/2mb L2 overclocked at 675mhz
Maxtor ATA100 pci card and Maxtor ATA133 hard drive
Geforce 2 Video card
Generic 52 speed cdrom connected to motherboard.
NIC's intel based from Compaq NC3121, Dlink 530tx+, and a netgear. I only
installed one at a time, they all where recognized though. FLP or
something, rltk and something else. So the cards seem to be supported and
recognized in sushi.
Creative 5.1 live.

Any ideas.....since I have never used the man pages (I am used to freebsd
books). Until now that is. I can find individual entries and the like. But
I am looking for any other dead tree media on NetBSD. I know there is one
coming out but are there any others?

I would also be interested to see if anybody on this list owns a Prometeia
unit for cooling cpu's. My next NetBSD install will be on that unit. I've
run it at -40 and my P4 2.4 runs at 3.321 ghz

thanks........

-cliff