Subject: Re: Heads up: i386 MP config change
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/2003 16:06:10
In message <20030108210015.GB1870@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>, Pavel Cahyna write
s:
>> I have added code to the i386 port to retrieve MP and interrupt
>> routing info via ACPI. Since this is an alternate method to
>> getting the info from the MP BIOS, I made them both optional.
>>

>Could you please explain briefly what is this ACPI thing and why it is
>useful? I was thinking that autoconfiguration is handled pretty well by
>PCI. Also, linux support for ACPI is AFAIC very minimal, I never compile
>it in linux kernel and I never missed it, so this was a for me a proof that
>it's something totally useless invented by hardvare vendors just to show
>some sign of activity. But seeing you put an effort in implementing it,
>one would think it may be actually good for something ... Could you
>comment, please?

I don't know too much about it; I do know that (a) it's the replacement
for APM, which will matter for laptops, and (b) on my laptop, at least
(a Thinkpad T21) the ability to hot-swap batteries and drives from the
"Ultrabay" will require ACPI support.  I'd *love* to be able to switch
between my floppy, my CD drive, and my spare battery without rebooting.