Subject: Java Plugin does not work under Linux Emulation
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Stephan Thesing <thesing@cs.uni-sb.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/2003 10:14:20
Hello,

Using the Java2 plugin for www/communicator, www/netscape7 or
www/mozilla-linux from the JDK1.4.0 or 1.4.1_01 does not work
for me under netbsd-current.

E.g. when viewing the demos from SUNs Java plugin page, the plugin is
loaded, the message "Starting applet" is displayed and the everything just
hangs. `ktrace'ing the java_vm processes one sees that they only call
`nanosleep' and `poll', while the netscape/mozilla process also loops
calling nanosleep and writing some data to a socket(?).
This does not occur when I use the `appletviewer' on the very same
examples.

On a non-Java but related issue I remember to have had the same effect
(freezing) with the graphics/mtv package.

Has anybody else observed this effect and knows what causes (or prevents)
it?

Best regards...
	Stephan

=  Tel.: +49-681-302-5571      = Universitaet des Saarlandes =
=  Fax.: +49-681-302-3065      = Postfach 15 11 50           =
=  Compiler Research Group     = 66041 Saarbruecken          =
=  FR 6.2 - Informatik         = GERMANY                     =