Subject: Re: netbsd/pc98
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/2003 09:19:53
> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:37:35PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I'm not interested in a pc98 port itself. I don't even
> > know what pc98 is. It interests me because this port have a driver I
> > need and I want to get the newest version. 1.4.3 is old, but I see I
> > will have to update it myself.
>
> Having almost all devices supported was probably the main reason I went
> to NetBSD rather than FreeBSD (which also has pc98 port, still maintained
> I believe).
>
> If you do update the driver (BTW, what is it for?), be sure to contribute
> it back into i386 or appropriate place.

It's for a SCSI host adapter chip, made by Future domain. It's called
tmc18c30, the driver inn NetBSD/pc98 (and in FreeBSD) is called stg and
it lives in tmc18c30.c file.

The problem is that the SCSI subsystem in NetBSD has gone through major
changes between 1.4 and 1.6 , so it won't be so easy.

Bye	Pavel