Subject: Firewire/ieee1394 hard drives or ipod under netbsd
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: yo _ <exhausted01@hotmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/02/2003 15:02:06
Hi,
I've looked through the 2002 mailing list archive for discussions based on
the firewire interface or devices that used firewire interface, and the last
email i read said that there had been a working driver for scsi over
firewire, and support for some amount of firewire chipsets (pci-based i
guess). I'm looking to buy an apple windows-model ipod (where the only
difference is that the internal drive uses fat32, a rw filesystem to netbsd,
rather than HFS+ for the mac models, where HFS+ support is less than
casually usable on netbsd).

The "ipod for linux" project (or loosely-connected group of people and
websites experimenting with getting the ipod to work) is far along that it
has gotten to the point where they can read and write to the ipod (windows
only of course for now, since HFS+ isn't supported well in the linux kernel
either). Their optimal configuration to my knowledge is using the generic
firewire controller drivers, then using sbp2 driver to get scsi over
firewire emulation. The ipod is then recognized as a scsi drive and  should
be readable and writable (the ephpod program for windows 32bit, when run
over wine can even use the ipod smoothly).

My question is, since there has been active development for scsi over
firewire, or sbp2 (whatever) on netbsd, and since the ipod is like a
firewire drive using scsi commands shouldn't it run on netbsd using the same
basic methods (getting the ipod recognized as a scsi drive)? My other
question is how far along is the scsi over firewire driver along, and does
it incorporate firewire drives, and is it in the netbsd core tree (if not
where can i get it)?