Subject: Re: Recommendation on laptops, notebooks or portables for NetBSD.
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/2002 06:32:35
On December 18, 2002 09:23 am, Greg Troxel wrote:
> There is no ps/2 keyboard/mouse input - you are expected to use USB
> (there are 2 USB ports).  There is VGA, s-video out, and
> parallel/serial.

My new Toshiba 1900 doesn't even have serial.  Luckily the USB port works
just fine if I attach a USB serial cable to it.

> All in all, I'm happy with it.  The only serious downsides are that
> you can't buy it without MS Windows, and the price ($3150 for all the
> above).

Isn't there still a way to get your money back from Microsoft?  This is all I
could find.

    http://www.netcraft.com.au/geoffrey/toshiba.html

I have another problem with my laptop.  The Lucent Softmodem (aka Winmodem)
of course won't work so I popped in a 56K PCMCIA card (Zoom Telephonics 56K
Dual Mode PC card faxmodem) but I can't get it to work.  I tried tty03 (and
tty00 after removing com[01] from the kernel since I don't have them) and
while I can open the device (it fails if I remove the modem while trying so I
know I have the right device) it will never echo back an AT.  This modem was
working on my old ThinkPad so I am pretty sure it is not the problem.  Any
ideas?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/