Subject: Re: ccd problem?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2002 00:04:29
On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 10:56:55AM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, David Laight wrote:
>
> # 11v would probably be ok, bet it drops much lower that that.
> # Also note that the cpu core is probably powered from the 12v
> # line.
>
> ...*boggle* Oh, really?  Last I knew most cpu cores were operating at
> ~2v...at least my dual pII/c cores were (I'll have to check my CPU
> status, but I'm pretty sure that 12v will release the magic smoke).

Yes....

There is a voltage regulator on the PCB real close to the cpu
socket that generates the 1.57V @ 60A (or something similar).
The tolerances required mean it has to be physically close to the
cpu itself.
This regulator is powered from the 12v supply of the cheap
nasty PSU in the top of the case.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk