Subject: Re: Recommendation on laptops, notebooks or portables for NetBSD.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Leon Woestenberg <leon.woestenberg@gmx.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2002 01:02:56
Hello,

> I've a Dell Inspiron 2500 and it works well with NetBSD (as well as
> with Linux and the two other BSD). New Dell models should work, too,
> except for the crapy winmodem they put in it... Don't know for the
> build in netword adaptor, but it should be ok as it's a RealTek chip.

Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ Radeon 9000:
- Ethernet works
- 1.6 works
- Firewire (and IP-over-Firewire) comes up without errors, not tested yet.
- APM halt works not ("unknown device ID")
- Radeon 9000 does not work with the XFree86 from 1.6
- Still have to compile the latest XFree

> If i had to buy a laptop, now, i would seriously consider new Apple
> models (iBook models, as my wallet would'nt support
> Powerbooks...). They're really cute ;-)

Agreed on all points!

Leon.