Subject: Re: pciide question: wd0 as wd2 (Promise Ultra100)
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/17/2002 11:20:40
On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > when the problem occurs, there are no wd0 or wd1 detected, only
>
> wd0 and wd1 *are* detected, otherwise the real drive woudln't end on wd2

How come there are no prints on the screen? Can I add some
options somewhere to make it visible?

> OK, so it finds 2 gost drives on the second channel of the VIA ide controller.
> Do you have a way to disable it in BIOS ?

Is this ghost drive finding a known feature? I can disable the second
channel on the VIA. I will try it tonight. Thanks for pointing this out,
I was only concentrating on the Promise and didn't think of this.

> You can hardwire wd0 to pciide1 channel 0 in the kernel config file.
> This means you'll have to create 2 entries, pciide0 and pciide1 in the
> config file, instead of pciide*

OK, so you consider it as a hardware bug? I will try the patch Alexander
sent me, although I have no idea what it does :-) The problem is that
the bug appears without logic, and quite rarely. Therefore it is
difficult to test all these fixes.

Thanks for the help.

Teemu