Subject: Re: lpt0 always idle
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2002 19:37:25
On 16 Dec 2002 13:10:01 -0600, Neil Ludban wrote:
> Same symptoms (IIRC) that I was seeing with an HP LaserJet 2200.  Try
> using the polled device (lpa0) instead of the interrupt device (lpt0).
>
> My conclusion after searching the web was that nobody even expects
> interrupt mode to work correctly, due to a combination of flakey PC
> hardware implementations and then printer manufacturers not bothering
> to support it.  It would be really nice if somebody could verify this
> and mention it in FAQs, lpt(4), and/or the /etc/printcap example...

OTOH, I can see no discernable difference between lpa and lpt on
my system.  The problem is that if the priter cycles power, it
doesn't respond soon enough to prevent the usb controller from
timing out and taking the controller offline.  Disconnecting and
then reconnecting the usb cable while the printer is turned on and
ready suffices to bring it back online.